On daily basis someone from every part of the world undergoes surgery to treat different types of diseases. Be it simple or complex surgery, it is the basic right of patient to get all the relevant information about the surgery they undergo. There are lots of questions which run in your mind as patient or close one of patient; however it is not practically possible to remember all these questions, it’s better to make a checklist of such questions and get them clarified by your doctor. Following are the 10 questions you should ask your doctor before the surgery:
- Is surgery important for the problem you are facing or else there are any alternatives available?
- How much time it will take to perform surgery?
- What will be the complications if surgery is not done now and postponed for sometime?
- What are the benefits involved in the surgery?
- How long the surgery will help in your condition?
- Are there any risks involved in the surgery?
- How quickly can you get back to resume your daily routine post surgery?
- What kind of precautions are necessary to be taken post surgery and for how long?
- What kind of diet should be followed during pre and post surgery phase?
- Are there any medical tests required to be done post surgery for evaluation purpose and for how long?
Ravi Shet is the writer of this article and Co-founder of www.treatum.com, an online healthcare portal connecting patients with right doctors.