Sweet potatoes are easily available, delicious and easy on the pocket tuber that grows under the ground. It is a very good source of vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, antioxidants and dietary fiber. Regular consumption of sweet potatoes has been found beneficial for the well being of an individual. Following are 5 healthy benefits of sweet potatoes:
- They are rich source of potassium which helps in protecting and controlling the activity of the kidneys. It also helps in reducing swelling and relaxing muscle contractions.
- They have natural sugars which are gradually released into the blood stream. This helps to maintain balanced source of energy without increase in weight.
- They contain Vitamin D that helps to build healthy bones, skin and teeth. Regular consumption of sweet potatoes plays an important role in building good immune system.
- They are high in antioxidants which help in fighting harmful free radicals and build up immunity.
- They contain good amount of magnesium which is necessary for bone, blood, muscle and nerve function.
Ramisa Punjani is the co-writer of this article and Founder & Dietician at Track Health Nutrition and Wellness Clinic, Jogeshwari, Mumbai.
Ravi Shet is the co-writer of this article and Co-founder of www.treatum.com, an online healthcare portal connecting patients with right doctors.